[hibernate-dev] Regarding release versioning

Vlad Mihalcea mihalcea.vlad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:20:36 EDT 2016

I think it's just about what our users expect from a Final release. If we
mark a release with the CR suffix, people will know this might have bugs
and they can help us identify them before we release the Final version.
If there is a backward incompatibility issue, we catch it in the CR release
and, by the time we release Final, we know we got it fixed.

So, with a CR, we just buy more time. Not only that we have OGM and Search
to provide feedback on the latest CR releases, but even the Spring Data
team tries to integrate our latest artifacts into their platform.

Many end-user applications will never try the CR releases, so they will
just go to Final versions which are more stable.

Vlad