[hibernate-dev] Regarding release versioning

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Jun 8 10:56:12 EDT 2016

On 8 June 2016 at 15:06, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Well the reasoning was discussed on this list and everyone agreed :)  It
> was part of a larger discussion about releases and maintaining maintenance
> branches.  But if everyone, I am ok with doing CR (only) for minor releases.
>
> Part of the reasoning was that technically speaking a Final really ought to
> be a simple retagging of the last CR.  But that is virtually impossible to
> do without branching the minor release as soon as we cut the CR.  At the
> very least we really cannot push commits to whatever branch holds the CR
> until the Final.  That is all based on the principle that the "approved CR"
> ought to be exactly the same as the Final it leads to.  If we are going
> back to this then I vote that we also go for a hybrid approach to this
> where Final is an approximation of the "approved CR", likely with
> additional fixes.

Since we use Git it's easy to create a branch from a commit which
isn't on the head.

You could tag the CR, and people can continue pushing on master, then
eventually decide if you want to branch from the CR to re-tag it as
Final, or do something different.

+1 for a non-strict Hybrid approach, you can branch at any time and
cherry pick what you decide is needed.