[hibernate-dev] Module ZIP for upgrading Hibernate ORM in WildFly

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Sat Jun 25 05:53:22 EDT 2016

Scott, all,

As discussed I've started to work on a module ZIP which can be used to add
Hibernate ORM 5.1 to an existing WildFly 10.0 instance (which comes with
ORM 5.0). As module slot I'm using "5.1".

Now I assumed that it'd be enough to set this property in persistence.xml:

     jboss.as.jpa.providerModule=org.hibernate:5.1

Indeed I'm seeing that my new module is added as a dependency to the
deployment, but the default ORM ("org.hibernate:main") is still being
added, too. As a result I'm getting an exception due to incompatible
Integrator classes (the 5.0 ORM tries to load the 5.1 integrator for Envers
which is failing due to the incompatible class hierarchies).

Do you have any idea why this is happening? I see that the module
org.jboss.as.ejb3 has a dependency to module org.hibernate (no slot, i.e.
"main"). May this be the cause? If so, what would I have to do to enable
only my 5.1 module and not the default 5.0 one for a given deployment? Or
any other idea?

Thanks,

--Gunnar