[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search connecting to multiple Elasticsearch clusters

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Mar 8 07:28:51 EST 2016

On 8 March 2016 at 12:04, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Good question, I have been wondering the same.
>
> I think we could even support this 5.6, essentially it's just a matter
> of structuring the properties and how we read them. I basically
> started with a single cluster to get to something working more
> quickly, but it shouldn't take long to change that now.
>
> Only in the docs we need to make clear that index sharing / queries do
> not work across cluster boundaries.
>
> If we don't do it now, at least let's change the prop name into
> "hibernate.search.default.elasticsearch.host" so it's not breaking if
> we add support for index-specific overrides down the road.

Yes it sounds like we agree about HSEARCH-2164 being a blocker.

But will we regret this? what if we later decide that supporting
multiple Elasticsearch clusters is both of low value and too
problematic?
Not sure if we're yet in a position to be aware of all implications; I
guess I shouldn't worry too much as this is still experimental, yet I
think it would be good to go through our list of features via the
reference documentation and try thinking ahead of what problems that
will introduce.

I didn't find any point which wouldn't be easy to dismiss but a second
pair of brains would be nice on this ;)

Thanks,
Sanne