[hibernate-dev] Only blockers should be fixed in Hibernate ORM 5.0 branch

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri Mar 18 12:50:46 EDT 2016

On 18 Mar 2016 14:34, "Gunnar Morling" <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Stupid question probably: Why do we maintain 5.0.x at all, now that
> 5.1.0.Final is out? Is it that EAP or WF will continue to be using
> 5.0.x? If so, why is that, couldn't they move to 5.1?

EAP will be supported for many years so that requires us to support 5.0 for
very long,  and I guess that's why Gail would prefer to limit backports to
the essential (minimum risk of unwanted changes)

But even beyond product requirements, as an OSS project first I would be a
disappointed user to see support dropped so quickly from a recent major
release: I suspect abandoning 5.0 already would not be popular at all.

Personally I would see us support 4.3 too but I understand we'd need more
help for that to be feasible so that's life.. Hard to define what's the
right threshold for sure, so it's up to those who do the job to decide..
But dropping 5.0 seems way premature to me to the point that I'd rather
slow down other R&D.