[hibernate-dev] Using Java8 language features in OGM/HotRod

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Mar 23 14:57:57 EDT 2016

TLRD: don't be surprised if I'll be sending some rather large code
style fixes. Not wasting my time nor intending to waste yours..

I've been writing quite some code enjoying Java 8 specific features in
the new OGM module,
as I assumed this would not be an issue at all since Hot Rod requires
Java8 and we require Java8 to build anyway.

Unfortunately the Checkstyle plugin crashes when it encounters Java8
bytecode ops, something which is easily fixed with a plugin upgrade.
The plugin upgrade however *fixed* some bugs in Checkstyle, for which
it had been accepting some syntax even though we were explicitly
intending to guard against these.

So now there are several (~300) style failures; these are legitimate
failures so my plan is to fix these.

If someone is busy with some rather large refactoring, please speak up
now as I can wait with this, or we can stagger this cleanup by sending
the fixes for some modules only, and the remaining later.

P.S. I'd rather cleanup the bad code than revert my Java8 code.. both
as a lesser effort, and as a better ultimate result.

Thanks,