[hibernate-dev] Is SQM going to remain a separate component?

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Fri May 27 04:01:30 EDT 2016

Steve, all,

During the No-ORM meeting this week, Andrea gave us a great overview on the
current status of the SQM work (thanks again, Andrea!).

This looks awesome and we look forward to make use of it in Hibernate OGM.
One thing I'm wondering is how closely tied to Hibernate ORM 6 this will
be. Is the plan to move all the SQM bits into the hibernate-orm repo
eventually? Or will SQM remain a separate component, and only the
implementation of the type system will live in ORM?

The reason for asking is that I'm trying to gauge how feasible it'd be to
use SQM in a Hibernate OGM based on ORM 5.x. That'd be much simpler (or
even only actually doable without essentially copying code), if SQM would
remain separate, and we'd "only" have to copy/backport the type system
implementation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

--Gunnar