[hibernate-dev] Checkstyle checks in ORM

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Nov 9 09:15:30 EST 2016

While developing the Byte Buddy Enhancer, Rafael ran into what I thnk is a
valid problem in the ORM build.  Namely the fact that we incorporate
non-fatal Checktyle checks.  In local builds this leads to a situation
where it is extremely difficult for new contributors to find out what
exactly they violated.  Jenkins presents these better and makes it easier
to see just "fatal" (high priority) violations, but the Checktype report
itself does not.  Even worse the Checkstyle report does not even show the
priority of individual violations at all.

I suggest we remove all non-fatal Checkstyle rules to make it easier on
contributors.