[hibernate-dev] Feature reduction in Hibernate Search

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri Oct 28 11:07:52 EDT 2016

We're not working yet on Hibernate Search 6, but since it's the next
big chapter I hope we're all making notes - if not JIRAs -  of what
we'd like changed in the next version.

As a reminder, the main themes of version 6 are:
 - upgrade to Apache Lucene 6
 - API changes to (better) accommodate for non-Lucene backends, such
as Elasticsearch
 - align with the Hibernate portfolio of projects version 6

I'd like you to also think about features which should be dropped:
it's not healthy - certainly not sustainable - to see a project like this
as a place to keep adding features, without ever removing or
simplifying some.

If you have thoughts in the area, let's bring them up in the mailing
list: no rush, but the sooner the better.
However I'd prefer to discuss each proposal independently so please
refrain from sending specific deprecation ideas to this same email
thread.

Thanks,