[hibernate-dev] Supporting timezone in Timestamp Type

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Sep 1 07:13:15 EDT 2016

Hit send accidentally...

The "problem" is normalization.  You are storing a TZ that is specific to
the place  (Austin, London) a shipment event occurs on the shipment event.
So even if your app had the requirment to display the shipment event in the
local TZ that that event occurred in, data-normalization says you'd store
the TZ/offset on the place and use that to render the event.

But even then, I'd personally never do that.  I think rendering the
shipping event Instant in the TZ of place it happens is confusing and not
the norm anyway.  I think the norm, for apps that want to render this, is
more a TZ relative to the the user.  When I go to Amazon, or FedEx, etc to
track a package I could care less about the London TZ.  The whole idea of a
unified "period" would mean that I see them in my local TZ (if not UTC).

Also... this will *not* involve 2 columns.  We covered why in the last
email discussion we had about this a few months ago.  Now your app could do
all this...  map the @Temporal and then map the TZ and apply them in
memory.