[hibernate-dev] Continue "parameter list" support?

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sat Sep 10 10:42:38 EDT 2016

Just to follow up on something I said below...

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 9:27 AM Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Right, that would mean adjusting SQLFunction to report whether the
> arguments are "varargs".  I plan on looking to change the SQLFunction
> contract quite a bit already actually.  Today we render these (into the
> SQL) via the method `String render(Type argumentType, List args,
> SessionFactoryImplementor factory)` where the `args` is List<String>.  I'd
> prefer that to be more OO than String.  In terms of SQM and SQL-tree, I'd
> like that to be something like List<SqlTreeExpression>.  Heck I'd love for
> these SQLFunctions themselves to implement SqlTreeExpression themselves and
> embed them directly into the SQL-tree

This whole discussion about the SQLFunction contract change is not really
related to this discussion.  I was just pointing out that I already have
some changes in mind for that contract.  So changing the contract for this
is not a "hardship".

I forget the details atm, I just know that I have been in situations when
writing a SQLFunction impl where it would have been nice to know some more
details about a particular argument - especially when you start thinking
about nested function calls.