[hibernate-dev] Hibernate development in Eclipse IDE?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Apr 26 06:30:37 EDT 2017

Hi Arnold,

personally I use Eclipse myself, and several others on the team as
well, but indeed most people on the Hibernate ORM project use
IntelliJ. Personally I work more on the other Hibernate projects, and
I'll admit that when it comes to working on ORM I nowadays tend to use
a different IDE because of the issues you mentioned, and some more.

The problems with "ambiguity" you noticed are bugs in Eclipse; sorry I
don't remember the issue now but they have been reported and people
from the Eclipse team are working on it; sadly it's taking a long
time.
It's not a single issue but there are several problems around generics
and lambdas.

The cyclic dependencies are another known problem when using Eclipse;
in this case my opinion is that Eclipse is "right" so maybe we should
do something about it, but considering the structure is serving its
purpose for various other rather complex needs - and considering
Eclipse isn't usable anyway - we're not considering this a priority.

So while I love Eclipse I'd currently recommend using IntelliJ ..
hopefully these problems will be fixed soon.

Thanks,
Sanne