[hibernate-dev] Difference between Comment and Hint in Hibernate query

Vlad Mihalcea mihalcea.vlad at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 07:03:15 EDT 2017

Hi,

While working on integrating a Pull Request, I realized that the
org.hibernate.engine.spi.QueryParameters provides these two attributes:

private String comment;
private List<String> queryHints;

Both these two are to be sent to the database, so why do we have both?

I also noticed that only for Query Hints we do take into consideration DB
specific query hint syntax:

// Keep this here, rather than moving to Select.  Some Dialects may
need the hint to be appended to the very
// end or beginning of the finalized SQL statement, so wait until
everything is processed.
if ( parameters.getQueryHints() != null &&
parameters.getQueryHints().size() > 0 ) {
   sql = dialect.getQueryHintString( sql, parameters.getQueryHints() );
}

Shouldn't we only have either comment or queryHints? Or what is the
difference between these two?

Vlad