[hibernate-dev] Plan on adding the JPA 2.2 Query#getResultStream() in 5.2

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Aug 2 11:16:20 EDT 2017

On 2 August 2017 at 15:21, Vlad Mihalcea <mihalcea.vlad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan on adding the JPA 2.2 Query#getResultStream() method since we
> already support streaming and,
> this way, Hibernate 5.2 will work even if the client has a JPA 2.2
> dependency in their classpath.
>
> https://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/maintenance/jsr338/ChangeLog-JPA-2.2-MR.txt
>
> While we can allow the 6.0 release to be fully JPA 2.2 compliant, is there
> anyone against adding the aforementioned change in 5.2 as well?
>
> Vlad

Such a change would break Hibernate Search integration.

I'm not strictly against it as we can catch up on the Search side, but
it introduces a burden for end users to be aware of which precise
versions they will need: typically we promise that any "micro" in the
same major.minor will be compatible, so we'd be violating this rule.
Anyone not using this method would be unaffected so this seems a very
minor point but I think the "stick to the rules" part is more valuable
to keep people from worrying.

On which interfaces do you plan adding this method exactly?

You don't plan on actually updating the JPA API we use at build time right?

Thanks,