[hibernate-dev] ORM & Java 9 - strange javadoc failure

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Dec 27 21:37:38 EST 2017

I worked on getting Travis CI set up on ORM for reasons discussed here
previously.  But I am running into a really strange error when I enabled
Java 9:

javadoc: error - An exception occurred while building a component:
ClassSerializedForm
(com.sun.tools.javac.code.Symbol$CompletionFailure: class file for
org.hibernate.engine.Mapping not found)
Please file a bug against the javadoc tool via the Java bug reporting page
(http://bugreport.java.com) after checking the Bug Database (
http://bugs.java.com)
for duplicates. Include error messages and the following diagnostic in your
report. Thank you.
com.sun.tools.javac.code.Symbol$CompletionFailure: class file for
org.hibernate.engine.Mapping not found

It seems like javadoc is complaining because it sees a reference to a class
(org.hibernate.engine.Mapping) that it cannot find.  It is true that there
is no class named org.hibernate.engine.Mapping, the real name is
org.hibernate.engine.spi.Mapping - but what is strange is that I search the
entire ORM project and found zero references to the String
org.hibernate.engine.Mapping.

I just kicked off a run of the ORM / Java 9 Jenkins job to see if it has
the same failure.

Anyone have any ideas?