[hibernate-dev] New project, new group-id: org.hibernate.lucene-modules

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Feb 16 14:17:39 EST 2017

Hi all,

I'm proposing the use of the `org.hibernate.lucene-modules` group id
for the stuff which we'll be releasing from this repository:
 - https://github.com/hibernate/lucene-modules

Context: Hibernate Search has been packaging Apache Lucene as a
WildFly module, essentially including the Lucene modules as part of
the Hibernate Search modules.

We want to separate these modules, for various reasons; the main
driver being the build of Infinispan is much simpler if they can
source the Lucene modules "out of band" from the Search release
version. Sometimes we need some more flexibility, and it's getting
close to mission impossible to workaround the tight coupling.

This might also help other projects use Lucene when not necessarily
interested in Hibernate Search, or in using the Lucene versions which
Search would allow (a subset of the Lucene releases).

Finally, since we release these modules with name "org.apache.lucene",
it might just make sense for them to be independent and just contain
Apache Lucene.

If you're interested more details, have a look at PR number 1:
 - https://github.com/hibernate/lucene-modules/pull/1/files

In Hibernate Search this would imply:
 - https://github.com/Sanne/hibernate-search/commit/a271d43d15b6af508ea693b3ccbe720604f9e1c8

Thanks,