[hibernate-dev] New project, new group-id: org.hibernate.lucene-modules

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri Feb 17 05:04:37 EST 2017

On 17 February 2017 at 09:42, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's a great initiative.

Thanks! Credit to Gustavo - he created the project idea - I actually
failed to follow
up for a long time.

I wasn't fully convinced, especially as we were waiting for directions
on the area,
but convinced now that we should at least split it out even if we don't know
the recommended modules format and WildFly strategies going forward.

> Have you considered to make this a more
> general effort, esp. should this rather be a repo / group id under the
> WildFly reign instead of Hibernate?

Yes, the "org.hibernate" organization prefix is a deliberate choice.

The main reason is that we're the ones maintaining and - hopefully - releasing
this module set.
Proper organization namespacing is important within the Maven modules world.

N.B. the modules id still is "org.apache.lucene": only the Maven group id
is prefixed by the Hibernate id. My intent is really to "sign" the provenance
only, while the package purpose is general.

> As you say, the modules may be interesting to people not using
> Hibernate Search, so a group id not tied to Hibernate would be less
> confusing: org. wildfly.modules.lucene.

In an ideal world, I would contribute this to the Lucene project:
what people need is such a moduleset for each single Lucene release,
so you might as well have the Lucene release process provide one.

But I think it's premature for that; not least because:
 - I doubt this format is  yet popular enough to be a compelling
feature for the Lucene team
 - we need them to be "retro-active", i.e. to re-package existing
Lucene versions
 - should we use the patch format instead? A feature pack? A fraction? etc..

Many such details need to be ironed out, then I'd be happy to propose
it to the Lucene
project for inclusion, but this might take some year yet and we need
this right now.

-- Sanne