[hibernate-dev] Javassist enhancement problems with the Hibernate ORM WildFly modules

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Jan 11 10:28:42 EST 2017

On 11 January 2017 at 15:09, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Didn't we want to migrate off of Javassist for ORM 6, going for
> ByteBuddy exclusively?
> https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-11253 discusses that.

Sure Byte Buddy looks great but we'll still need to support existing
users for a while. AFAIR we'd like to move away from Javassist
primarily as it needs to be exposed to the application, but I'm
highlighting a different problem now.

I was hoping to use these modules to test Search first, and then OGM,
on ORM 5.2 but it sounds like you're telling me they are unsalvageable
garbage? :D
Surely we can fix them, it's just exposing the wrong Javassist version.

BTW with Byte Buddy in future we could have the same conceptual
problem as we want to upgrade it (for wathever reason) and WildFly
will have the previous version we recommended. I see no other solution
than for us to be "in control" of which dependencies we need. Surely
you're not suggesting we should change bytecode enhancer for every
WildFly release :)

Thanks,