[hibernate-dev] Extended KEY expression support

Chris Cranford crancran at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 15:55:27 EST 2017

My thoughts....

On 01/28/2017 06:00 AM, Christian Beikov wrote:
> I created an issue for this feature:
> https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-11433
>

> Am 27.01.2017 um 23:58 schrieb Steve Ebersole
>> I personally would vote to *not* make this change in 5.x even in terms
>> of making it configurable.  The grammar there is fugly enough already
>> and this is the kind of thing (especially making branches of it
>> configurable) that takes that fugliness to a new level.
> I gave that another thought and don't think that requiring the user to
> do a separate join is a good idea anymore. We can actually infer if a
> join is required and when using the ANSI parenthesis join syntax the
> join type does not really matter. If we stick to the join rendering
> style we have, we should just use the collection tables join type.
>
> Do you think it makes sense to implement support for "JOIN
> KEY(m).association" in 5.2 or just leave it as it is? I would implement
> that if you give your ok.
>
> What do you think about all that so far?

I'd say we likely shouldn't be putting significant effort into adding
**new features*** *into 5.2.  I'd recommend adding it into the 6.0
branch and if/when we decide to consider a 5.3 branch release as a
further stepping stone to 6.0, perhaps we back-port this feature to that
branch if the team feels its relevant to do so.

But that's just my perspective :).

Chris