[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Commons project

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 07:58:21 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>
wrote:

> # groupId
> +1 for the name "hibernate-commons".
>
> I wouldn't want to move the hibernate-commons-annotations project
> though. This project is stable, not evolving much yet several branches
> will need to be maintained for very long time still.
> Moving repositories would make maintenance trickier for no other
> reason than satisfying some weird form of OCD.. incidentally, I
> totally relate with the urge to move it but I think we'll have to deal
> with that ;)

Note that the current version of hibernate-commons-annotations is
org.hibernate.common (without the s at the end, not org.hibernate as Yoann
stated it).

Moving hibernate-commons-annotations is not such a good idea IMHO:
- it's licensed under the LGPL so it would force us to use this license (or
relicense it or having different licenses for the submodules but they are
all bad ideas)
- we would release a new version of this module each time we want to
upgrade the theme and I don't think it would be readable for consumers of
this preexisting artifact.

The latter point is what worries me about centralizing all the utils in the
same repo with the same lifecycle.

> # License
> It's not technically true that an ASL2 project can not depend on LGPL
> work; I suspect you might get confused with requirements of the Apache
> Foundation on projects hosted on the foundation: "Apache Products"
> those requirements are stricter than their license, and Hibernate
> Validator just uses the ASL2 license but is not an Apache Product.
> I'm not against using ASL2 for this project, especially since such
> confusion is common that could help avoiding debates.. but since it
> contains branding elements (I assume that e.g. the asciidoc style
> contains logos?) we might actually need to check with legal which
> licenses are fine with some help from Red Hat legal.

Yes, the AsciiDoctor theme contains the Hibernate logo. But so does the HV
repository. I don't think it's an issue.

> # Style
> +1 I also like the white top banner better. I hope the ORM team will
> prefer it too, so that we can 1) keep consistency 2) share these.

You see that you like consistency ;).

--
Guillaume