[hibernate-dev] NoORM - New groupId and relocation artifacts

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Jan 30 08:01:46 EST 2017

On 30 January 2017 at 12:49, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Nothing major, but still this got me wondering:
>>  - why the parent pom "hibernate-validator-relocation" ?
>

> To avoid having too many useless directories in the parent directory.
>

>>  - why the profile switch? do you plan to omit these artifacts for -
>> say - nightly builds and local testing of other projects depending on
>> it?
>

> Because it's less noisy when we do a normal build. It's already noisy
> enough.
>

>>  - what's the benefit you're hoping to achieve by being consistent
>> with this approach?
>

> Well, is being consistent not a big enough benefit?

Different projects have different needs. Consistency is nice, and
certainly makes it easier to find oneself comfortably "at home" when
jumping from one project to another, but it also is inconvenient to do
things "for consistency" when one has different requirements.

So when it comes to trivial changes, IMO practicality trumps need for
consistency.

But ok, +1 for consistency then. My question was merely to explore if
I had missed something non-trivial.

Thanks,