[hibernate-dev] Null vs "empty" embeddable values

Gail Badner gbadner at redhat.com
Wed Jul 26 19:45:52 EDT 2017

IIUC, the fix for HHH-7610 was supposed to have Hibernate treat null and
empty composite as equivalent, regardless of how
hibernate.create_empty_composites.enabled
is set. [1]

The application could instantiate empty embeddables itself, and Hibernate
should still treat those values as equivalent to null.

Is it really enough to check that the composite overrides equals/hashCode
(without actually finding out if (!emptyValue.equals( null ) ||
emptyValue.hashCode() != 0)?

I think documentation would help.

[1] https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/1080