[hibernate-dev] PESSIMISTIC_FORCE_INCREMENT lock mode

Vlad Mihalcea mihalcea.vlad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 12:17:11 EDT 2017

In MVCC, shared and exclusive are not as significant as in 2PL concurrency
control which only SQL Server supports by default nowadays.

Even if the row is locked in shared or exclusive mode, some other DB will
still read it. It's just that they will not be able to modify it or
acquire locks. Here, if you acquire a shared lock, others will still be
able to acquire a shared lock as well, and that will offer no advantage for
the PESSIMISTIC_FORCE_INCREMENT over its optimistic alternative.

So, I suppose the lock should always be exclusive so that other lock
requests are blocked until the lock is released.

Vlad