[hibernate-dev] [SEARCH] 6.0: what if we flipped our metadata definition upside down?

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 27 08:51:39 EDT 2017

> Independently from which one we read from first, won't there always be
> a risk of forgetting the other input processing blocks?

With that in mind: yes, even if what I propose, there will still be a risk
of forgetting to add a feature to one API or the other, but I think the
risk will be lower if we revert how it works, because then testing the
annotations mode will also test the programmatic API. And most of the time,
our tests use annotations, not the programmatic API.

>   1#  F({Annotations, ProgrammaticAPI}) -> Actual applied Metadata.
>   2#  Z({Free Form}) -> Actual applied Metadata & custom walkers.
>
>My point being that the two operations F() and Z() are intrinsically
>based on both different input APIs and requirements.

I suppose it all comes down to how different we think those metadata
providers will be. Bear in mind that currently, the
AnnotationMetadataProvider does more than just translate annotations to
metadata; it performs some validity checks and handles additional features
such as IndexedEmbedded depth limits, analyzer building, etc.

> I concur that the strategy to "simulate" annotations looks weird, but
> it's working fine, while such a significant refactoring poses various
> risks (both our time and likely regressions) for a benefit I'm not
> convinced of ;)

Let's do some convincing then :) Some facts:

   - The source code of AnnotationMetadataProvider is 2000 lines long. Two
   thousands. Twenty times a hundred.
   - AnnotationMetadataProvider is the file that appears in the most
   commits in the git history, after Log (source: git log --pretty=format:
   --name-only | grep '.*\.java' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rg | head -20).
   Thus this is probably the file we changed the most in the past.
   - We've already planned to make several changes on 6.0 that will
   impact AnnotationMetadataProvider quite heavily, thus regressions are
   already a problem we'll have to tackle.
   I am mainly talking about these, but I'm sure there are others:
   - Making metadata themselves a bit safer (true immutability for instance)
      - Implement some kind of walker for document building.
      - FieldBridge 2.0 (HSEARCH-2055)
      - and splitting internal metadata between generic metadata and
      backend-specific (lucene, ES) metadata (HSEARCH-2462).

So I won't pretend that changing this file poses no risk at all, but rather
the opposite: if there is any file that poses a threat, it's this one.
Wouldn't it be great if we could reduce this risk from 6.0 onwards? For
example, by splitting it up, moving one responsibility (the interpretation
of annotations) to a different component?

Currently we have this flow of information:

   - Programmatic API => o.h.annotations.common.reflection.MetadataProvider
   => o.h.search.engine.metadata.impl.AnnotationMetadataProvider => Hibernate
   - or Annotated classes
   => o.h.annotations.common.reflection.java.JavaMetadataProvider =>
   o.h.search.engine.metadata.impl.AnnotationMetadataProvider => Hibernate

(yes, we have two types of metadata providers, one coming from
hibernate-annotations and the other being our own...)

What I'm proposing is:

   - Programmatic Mapping API =>
   o.h.search.engine.metadata.impl.SomeNewMetadataProvider => Hibernate Search
   - or Annotated classes =>
   o.h.annotations.common.reflection.java.JavaMetadataProvider => Some
   annotation walker => Programmatic Mapping API =>
   o.h.search.engine.metadata.impl.SomeNewMetadataProvider => Hibernate Search
   - or Free-form mapping API => Programmatic Mapping API =>
   o.h.search.engine.metadata.impl.SomeNewMetadataProvider => Hibernate Search

The key here is "Some annotation walker": it will take *some* of the
complexity out of the metadata provider. For instance all the reflection
part (iteration through fields and getters). Or field resolution for
annotations such as NumericField(forField), or Facet(forField). Or JPA
annotation handling.

Note that, in order to more easily introduce features specific to one type
of mapping or another, and to be more independent from user APIs, we may
ultimately introduce some internal API:

   - Programmatic Mapping API => Internal Mapping API =>
   o.h.search.engine.metadata.impl.SomeNewMetadataProvider => Hibernate Search
   - or Annotated classes =>
   o.h.annotations.common.reflection.java.JavaMetadataProvider => Somme
   annotation walker => Internal Mapping API =>
   o.h.search.engine.metadata.impl.SomeNewMetadataProvider => Hibernate Search
   - or Free-form mapping API => Internal Mapping API =>
   o.h.search.engine.metadata.impl.SomeNewMetadataProvider => Hibernate Search

But we'd run in the same problem we have now, which is we sometimes forget
to add features to the programmatic API. At least we would have improved
the metadata provider, I guess.

We don't have to do this now, mind you, but I expect it to be very clearly
necessary when we'll introduce free-form support. Maybe we could just agree
that ideally, that's what we should do? Then we'll see how much the
metadata provider has changed when we'll implement free-form support, and
decide whether one more change is more risky or not.

Yoann Rodière <yoann at hibernate.org>
Hibernate NoORM Team