[hibernate-dev] [feature request][discuss] smoother serializers integration?

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Thu May 4 04:04:22 EDT 2017

I was very much in the Vlad, Steve, Christian camp until relatively
recently. One of my main concern being that replacing a proxy by null
was really sending the wrong message. So I was against having Hibernate
ORM facilitate such a transformation.

I am changing my mind because I am realizing that a lot of applications
are less complex that my perceived median. A lot of apps really just
want data to be fetched out and then passed to jackson (implicitly) and
pushed out as a REST response in JSON or some other serialization
protocol.

So while we could try and keep the stance that such a solution should
remain out of scope of Hibernate ORM core, we should have a very smooth
integration with something like MapStruct to create such bounded DTO on
the fly. Ideally with as close to zero code as possible from the user
point of view.
I can't really describe how that could look like because I am not
familiar enough with MapStruct but I think it should have the following
characteristics:

1. do an implicit binding between the mapped object graph and a detached
   object graph with a 1-1 mapping of type and replacing lazy objects and
   collections with null. That's the smoothest approach and the most
   common use case but also the one where an inexperienced person could
   shoot at someone else's foot
2. do a binding between the mapped object graph and a detached version of
   that object graph with a 1-1 mapping of type, but declaratively
   expressing the boundaries for the detached version. This enforces a
   clear thinking of the boundaries and will load lazy data in case the
   object graph loaded is missing a bit. I like the idea on principle but
   I think it overlaps a lot with the fetch graph.
3. offer a full integration between MapStruct and Hibernate ORM by
   letting people express a full fledge MapStruct transformation between
   the managed object graph and a different target structure

I favored MapStruct over Dozer because we know the MapStruct lead quite well ;)

Note however that the MapStruct approach requires an explicit object
copy, it feels a bit sad to have to double memory consumption. But that
might be a good enough approach and bypassing the managed object
creation leads to questions around the Persistence Context contract
where loading an object supposedly means it will be in the PC.
Maybe a constructor like query syntax allowing to reference a MapStruct
conversion logic might work?

    select mapStruct('order-and-items', o) from Order o left join fetch o.items

Emmanuel