[hibernate-dev] [ORM] Event Listeners: what's the consequence of not implementing Serializable correctly?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed May 17 09:56:06 EDT 2017

As you might know Hibernate Search is implemented mainly as a complex
Event Listener to events
from Hibernate ORM.

The Hibernate ORM event listener contracts "suggest" that such event
listeners need to be Serializable, but it seems our listeners is not
actually serializable since some time.
It appears to be serializable and there's quite some complexity to
make it happen, but I'm realizing that the tests are incomplete and
it's unlikely to work in practice.

Yet everything seems to be fine: no tests failing, no people
complaining, nor bugs have been raised.

Does someone know if there's a realistic use case being broken? How
would a reasonable test look like?

Thanks,