[hibernate-dev] JDK 9 EA Build 170 is available on jdk.java.net

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri May 19 07:49:03 EDT 2017

Hi Rory,

thanks, I'll update our ci.hibernate.org build servers today.

Status reminder: we had good progress some months back, but since
Gradle broke again we're stuck on our flagship project (Hibernate
ORM).

Some progress can be monitored here:
 - http://ci.hibernate.org/view/JDK9/

Please bear in mind that even the "green" projects had to disable
integration tests with various platforms: our goal is to fix our own
code but that doesn't mean that it's going to work in the thousands of
frameworks integrating our projects.

Mark Reinhold's latest proposal looks like a great step into the right
direction.

I can't speak for my colleagues: [I don't represent Red Hat Middleware
!] but indeed - as an opinion from the Hibernate team - having some
ways to mitigate the high time pressure is very well received.
Whatever is decided regarding the default value of that flag, we'll
certainly keep testing on the strictest setting, and keep stressing
integrating frameworks and containers to do the same.

Also as a personal opinion, not having the ability to isolate modules
in terms of avoiding conflicting package names is going to make
progress much harder: several of the projects we integrate with are
extremely conservative in breaking APIs, so renaming packages for the
sake of making the modules system happy is not going to happen in a
long time. Also future evolution of our projects will likely be
affected. In my experience I've witnessed several times that excellent
libraries are "transferred ownership" across organisations and
maintainers, sometimes partially, and when they get split they are
typically not in a suitable time to rename all packages. Sure such
things get cleaned up, but such events have to be decoupled - often
for organisational, practical reasons.

Successful OSS projects grow in size and complexity, but they don't
necessarily scale in funding when they rely on volunteers, so an
organic growth followed by splits is quite natural. The Java ecosystem
supported this nicely; good tooling has been accelerating the process
and allowing for larger projects but we're at a saturation point for
which we're hoping modules would be an enabler for the community to
avoid headaches with dependency alignment puzzles. With no isolation
of at least the not-exported classes this seems like a missed
opportunity.

Thanks,
Sanne