[hibernate-dev] [Search and more] What is new in a give release

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Sep 13 05:48:42 EDT 2017

On 13 September 2017 at 10:41, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:
> On Tue 17-09-12 13:50, Yoann Rodiere wrote:
>>>

>>> - Releases speaks less than downloads, Where do I download Hibernate X
>>>  is a question we want addressed from the top level menus
>>>

>> Always amazed that there's still people out there actually downloading
>> JARs
>> manually. But yes, we shouldn't forget about them.
>>
>> My problem with "downloads" is that, while it conveys the correct meaning
>> for the minority (I hope) of users not using Maven/Gradle, it's really not
>> appropriate as an entry point to pages giving information about
>> series/releases.
>> Let's put it that way:
>>
>>   - To a user looking for info about a particular release (maven GAV,
>>   changelog, ...) , a "download" entry isn't even remotely relevant
>>   - To a user looking to download packages, a "releases" entry does seem a
>>   bit relevant
>

> You are right on principle. But if you look around, pretty much all
> software websites have a download button leading to a page where you can
> find releases, changelog etc. People are trained.
>
> http://kafka.apache.org/downloads
> http://struts.apache.org/download.cgi#struts2513
> http://vertx.io/download/
>

> Spring is the exception but they have one big page for everything per
> project. Not what we want.
> And GitHub which has Releases https://github.com/google/guava
>
> I'm still not recovered from GitHub's move from Downloads to Releases to
> be honest.
>
> If everyone thinks Releases is clearer and more intuitive, I won't
> block.

 - having a "Downloads" link is essential
 - having a "Releases" page is what we think is more useful, for many
good reasons

Yet we agree they are slightly different in nature. Could we ride the
differences and generate them both?

Especially "Releases" could be a good home for all older releases and
the "Past Roadmaps" which Emmanuel suggested before we should have,
yet I said they don't belong on "Roadmap".
On "Downloads" we only want to promote the active branches; have some
basic series descriptions but way more ecclectic than the releases
descriptions. We make them cross-linked and everyone is happy?

Thanks,
Sanne