[hibernate-dev] [Search and more] What is new in a give release

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Thu Sep 14 04:38:39 EDT 2017

On Wed 17-09-13 10:55, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>On 13 September 2017 at 10:51, Yoann Rodiere <yoann at hibernate.org> wrote:
>>> It's more the number of columns, what if you add more version, should I
>>> scroll horizontally? Also releeases tend to be shown vertically with
>>> version in desc order. This model breaks a bit this habit.
>>

>> At least versions are in desc order :D
>> More seriously, I was more worried about the number of dependencies than
>> about the number of series. We don't want to maintain a hundred branches, so
>> we'll probably try to keep the number of series to a minimum, but we do want
>> to offer as much as possible to users, so we may offer many different
>> integrations, and thus many different dependencies. Just think if the ORM
>> team wants to display supported versions of each DBMS... So I thought
>> showing versions horizontally would be more future-proof.
>> I'll try to add horizontal scrolling to the table. The oldest releases may
>> not be displayed, but then those are not the one we want to advertise, so...
>> And in any case, we have limited horizontal space, so we have to hide
>> *something*.
>> About phones, I think bootstrap has something, I'll give it a try.
>>
>>> On "Downloads" we only want to promote the active branches; have some
>>> basic series descriptions but way more ecclectic than the releases
>>> descriptions. We make them cross-linked and everyone is happy?
>>

>> Sure, we can do that. But the "downloads" page will essentially be a
>> stripped-down version of the "releases" page.
>
>+1 since maintenance is automated I see no problem with a little redundancy.

I'm not sure two pages is really solving the problem. It looks like you
don't want to make a choice. But I don't have a pro/con opinion.
My real concern is since you will have two pages, what's the navigation
logic? How do you reach each on of these pages?

Just thinking out loud here but I think the one way to solve long
standing Steve objective is indeed to have per series sections of the
website (including download, documentation, migration guide)
And a top nav for "latest/promoted" releases (like we have today
really).
How do you merge the two navigation wise is what I don't know.
This is for later work anyways.