[hibernate-dev] 6.0 Alpha1 prep

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Dec 5 10:47:41 EST 2018

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:28 AM Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com>
wrote:

There are a few artifacts we need to decide how to handle:

>>    - `hibernate-entitymanager` and `hibernate-java8` have been part of
>

>>    `hibernate-core` since 5.2 (I thought moving `hibernate-entitymanager`
>>    happened way earlier, but seems like not).  Should we drop these?  They
>>    have been defined as relocations for quite some time now).
>>

> So it's a detail but it's pretty handy to have relocations for these
> artifacts in the case of our test case template as we can test various
> versions without changing anything.
>
> If it's not a nightmare, I would keep them.

Define nightmare ;)

As for "test case templates", that is code we write/control - so not
understanding that point.

In many ways it is the same discussion as how to handle deprecations.  Some
believe you should never remove deprecations using essentially the same
exact logic you used here.

>>    - `hibernate-ehcache` defines support for using Ehcache 2 as a
>

>>    second-level cache, which is a version the Ehcache team does not even
>>    support anymore and have not for quite a few years.  Ehcache 3 is a
>> JCache
>>    compliant version and the way that the Ehcache team prefer to handle
>> the
>>    integration (in fact they wrote most of `hibernate-jcache`).  IMO this
>>    should be removed as well.  Thoughts?
>>

> Last release was 2.10.6 of October 2018. So it's still alive. I know we
> have users still using it.
>

> If JCache covers all the features we had before, we could remove it and
> see how people reacts to it. It would still be time to reinject it later if
> someone comes up with a very compelling use case.
>
> And be done with it, if not.

Not sure what to tell you about a new release aside from saying that we
often continue to release very old versions of ORM even though we do not
support them. The existence of a release does not mean it is supported.  I
have been told by the Ehcache developers that version 2 has not been
supported for many years (and that was almost a year ago).  Interpret that
how you want I guess.

As for users still using it, that is a documentation issue imo.  I had
discussed this with Vlad previously that we ought to prefer
hibernate-jcache + ehcache 3 in the documentation, but it looks like that
has not happened.  Vlad?

>    - `hibernate-infinispan` - support for using Infinispan as a Hibernate
>

>>    L2C has been moved to the Infinispan project. Again, IMO this module
>> should
>>    go away.  Thoughts?
>>

> No opinion here.

I am curious.  Why is this different to you compared to hibernate-ehcache.
To me it is the same exact situation.