[hibernate-dev] ORM DDL doesn't reflect BV constraints with validation mode CALLBACK

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Feb 6 11:06:43 EST 2018

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 9:58 AM Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:

> My question essentially is why is it alright to piggy-back the enablement
> of the DDL constraint export on JPA's validation mode option (which only
> has been designed with the lifecycle validation in mind) for AUTO but not
> for CALLBACK?

Because a user picked CALLBACK, which has a very specific meaning.  Its
like me asking a framework to do (a) and it chooses to also do (b).  (b)
might be nice and it might even be helpful, but I did not ask it to do
(b).  And even worse if the framework actually provides a way to ask for
(b).

> It causes a few issues: When using CALLBACK (which is the right setting if
> you really want to make sure that lifecycle validation happens), there's
> currently no way to have the constraint export to DDL. JPA won't allow me
> to specify { CALLBACK, DDL } (as it's only a single-valued option as you
> say). So I'd have to use AUTO, at the risk of lifecycle validation being
> not enabled silently if the BV provider is missing from the classpath for
> some reason. Also the interaction with "hibernate.validator.apply_to_ddl"
> is confusing, as this only can be used to turn off the DDL export of
> constraints but enabling it (the default) doesn't itself guarantee that
> this is happening.

Ok, then the crux here is that you do not like that we make a JPA-defined
single-valued setting into a multi-valued setting.  Ok, I can understand
that.  So then what is your suggestion?  Because I did not like your
original suggestion for the reasons I have stated, unless I mis-read your
suggestion