[hibernate-dev] Jenkins job priorities

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Fri Jan 12 03:12:05 EST 2018

Quick update: the priority plugin seems to be working fine, and I disabled
the Heavy Job plugin. It turns out the Heavy Job plugin was preventing the
Amazon EC2 plugin to spin up new slaves, probably because the Amazon EC2
plugin only saw two empty slots on an existing slave and couldn't
understand that the waiting jobs couldn't be ran with only two slots.
Consequently, the Amazon EC2 plugin now spins up lots of instances, with a
limit of 5. In order to avoid a big hit on the budget, Sanne reduced the
idle timeout to 30 minutes. Please allow 2 minutes for the slave to boot if
there is no slave up when you start your job.

So now we have working Amazon EC2 plugin, ensuring new slaves will be spun
up if there are waiting jobs, and a priority queue, ensuring release/PR
jobs will be ran first in the (hopefully unlikely) event a lot of jobs are
waiting in the queue.
It looks like a reasonable setup, so let's see how it goes for the next
releases and discuss it afterwards.