[hibernate-dev] Help please: HHH-12674 Upgrade to Gradle 4.8

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Jun 18 05:11:14 EDT 2018

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 at 08:08, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> That’s a good question. I don’t know if that was mainly due to the JDK 9 follow up or if the JDK will keep breaking stuff at rapid pace - which is supposed to be different that releasing at a rapid pace ;)

No crystal ball, but so far we had quite some work to do for each JDK
release; I thought I had highlighted that to you.

Certainly Jigsaw had a big impact when it came in 9, but that work is
far from over as barely any build tool / IDE / dependency management
has caught up yet: stuff "boots" today but there's a long list of
missing stuff. We're certainly far from getting benefits from it.

Then there's all the tangential chaos: in 9 we had issues with the EE
modules, such as the XML parsers; for that one the widely agreed on
solution was to use options like "--add-modules java.xml.bind", yet
now testing JDK11 that same module has been removed, so we need to
re-think that one.

Another example is Javadoc linting: options we need have been
deprecated in 9, removed in 10. With this faster pace affecting
deprecation + removal cycles one can't really be sure of what's going
to be broken within a year.

Doclet APIs are gone as well, some more JDK options and flags we used
now fail to start, and some such options are hardcoded in e.g. Maven
or Gradle extensions we used for other purposes.

The issues are compounding each other: since build tools are barely
able to keep up, some of our dependencies just don't keep up as they
can't easily build / test; hitting issues first is quite time
consuming and when reporting issues other communities aren't
particularly eager to fix those.
Not least sometimes we need to apply or experiment with JDK new flags
or solutions which are presented as the appropriate way forward - like
multi-release JARs - but build tools don't support them yet so you
need complex build workarounds.. which spread issues to IDEs, CI, ..
all needing updates, all breaking someone's workflow.

In short, so far it has been breaking stuff at increased pace. I don't
see it as too negative though, it's looking like overall speed is
faster in all areas so maybe "speed to break" is proprortionate to
overall speed increase - I hope thought that other communities we rely
on can adjust to this too. That includes ourselves, I needed another
HCANN release last weekend, some more metadata changes in ORM... list
goes on and we haven't touched much on actually benefitting from the
new version features.

Thanks,
Sanne