[hibernate-dev] 5.3 - hibernate-ehcache

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 15 09:44:35 EDT 2018

On 15 March 2018 at 13:04, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Given the changes to the second-level cache SPI, I wonder if we want to
> take that as an opportunity to consider dropping the `hibernate-ehcache`
> module?
>
> There are a few reasons I am considering this...
>
>    1. We have the JCache integration in  place and users can use Ehcache
>    via that support already.
>    2. This is really the same discussion we had wrt Spring Cache[1].  IMO
>    the answer should be consistent.  We moved hibernate-infinispan for many of
>    these same reasons...
>    3. A large part of the argument for keeping hibernate-ehcache was that
>    it is already in place and therefore did not require much effort to
>    support/maintain.  However, given the new SPI there is actually a pretty
>    big effort to adapt hibernate-ehcache to those new SPIs.  So far I am the
>    one doing that - which in and of itself is fine since I am the one who
>    changed the SPIs ;)  But it makes me think it is far less of a maintenance
>    effort just to drop it and support just hibernate-ehcache.

I guess you meant "support just JCache" ?

+1 since the new SPI is different. I do wonder if the JCache API will
be a straitjacket for futher performance improvements, but I guess we
could re-insert this module if there's more concrete elements? At
least any work due to SPI changes could be deferred.

We'll still be testing with Ehcache - over JCache - I hope?

Thanks,
Sanne