[hibernate-dev] Why do we have the date in the URL of blog posts?

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 22 04:23:02 EDT 2018

Hi,

While talking to a few bloggers from the Java ecosphere at JavaLand last
week, the question came up why we have the date in the URL of blog posts.

Arguably, it doesn't add value there (we show the date on the actual posts
themselves), and makes the URLs slightly worse to read. In particular, we
don't allow for browsing posts by year or month (e.g.
http://in.relation.to/2018/), so it's even a bit misleading. Omitting the
date would also make the original idea of the URL fly again ("in relation
to xyz").

Anyone with thoughts whether we should change the scheme (keeping existing
ones of course)?

That all said, I've no idea whether the date in there is good to have or
not in terms of SEO. I suppose it doesn't matter.

--Gunnar