[hibernate-dev] Breaking JBossStandAloneJtaPlatform backwards compatibility

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Sat May 26 17:05:14 EDT 2018

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 9:04 AM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>
wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> I see you changed JBossStandAloneJtaPlatform to use a new API in WildFly;

More that in WildFly 13, applications shouldn't use the Arjuna TM classes
directly anymore.  The WildFly Transaction Client wraps the Arjuna TM and
maintains correct TX status.

> this breaks all existing applications using a generic "JBoss -
> standalone" platform which isn't using the very latest WildFly.

Hmm, thinking more about this, also broken, are any ORM 5.1.x applications
that depend on JBossStandAloneJtaPlatform to choose the WildFly TM.  JPA
container managed applications won't have this problem.

> I see that in many cases this type is auto-detected - and while
> JBossStandAloneJtaPlatform causes an exception this is swallowed by
> the HibernatePersistenceProvider as any exception is only mentioned at
> debug level (line 61).
>
> So two questions:
>  - could this be reverted and you introduce some new-gen
> WildflyStandAloneJtaPlatform instead?

Not sure, since the WildFly Transaction Client (WFTC) module is also in
earlier WF releases.  I'm not exactly sure of when the WFTC TM replaces
Arjuna TM.  David, is that new for WF13?

We can get more correct in ORM 5.3.x to align with WF 13, but not sure
about ORM 5.1 JBossStandAloneJtaPlatform still referencing Arjuna TM
directly.  Seems like that is also a problem.

>  - bootstrap exceptions: may I change those to error level?

No idea.