[hibernate-dev] Health check status API

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu May 31 12:40:23 EDT 2018

It was suggested to me that Hibernate ORM could help people developing
microservices on Kubernetes / Openshift by making "health checks"
easier.

In short, how to expose to some management API that we're being able
to connect to the database and do our usual things.

This could be done by connection pools as well but I suspect there
could be benefits in exposing this information in a unified way at an
higher level API; also on top of using ad-hoc specific connection
APIs, or Dialect specific instructions, I guess we could monitor
timeout exceptions, etc.. happening on the application sessions.

Wrote some notes on:
 - https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-12655

Probably best to explore this in ORM first, but then Search and OGM
could expose/implement it too for their respective services?

Or maybe people would prefer to just run a query?

Thanks,