[hibernate-dev] ORM 5.4 breaking SPIs - MetamodelImplementor

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Mon Oct 22 04:00:14 EDT 2018

Hello,

Thanks to a periodic Hibernate Search build I set up to run against
Hibernate ORM 5.4, I just noticed [1] a backward-incompatible change in ORM
5.4 [2]: mainly, the MetamodelImplementor class was moved from
org.hibernate.metamodel.spi to org.hibernate.metamodel.model.domain.spi.

While I understand that SPI changes are allowed in minor version
increments, it was my understanding that 5.4 was supposed to only bring
fixes that we are not comfortable with merging into 5.3, not new features
or improvements. Did I understand that correctly?

If so, I'd suggest to cancel this renaming, or at least restore the old
interface, deprecate it and make it a superinterface of the new one, to
restore backward compatibility. And see if other SPIs should benefit from
the same treatment.

If not, I will give up on the idea of Search 5.10 being compatible with ORM
5.4, and will plan for a 5.11. Let's hope the changes in ORM 5.4 won't
affect EAP/Spring/etc., though. I suppose if it's only SPI it should be
alright...

Steve, folks, WDYT?

[1]
http://ci.hibernate.org/blue/organizations/jenkins/hibernate-search-yoann/detail/tracking-orm5.4-5.10/37/pipeline