[hibernate-users] @UniqueConstraint with @ManyToOne field???

Misha Koshelev misha680 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 17:33:40 EDT 2010

Dear All:

Thank you for a great product!

Using the following code:

    @Entity

@Table(uniqueConstraints=[@UniqueConstraint(columnNames=["account","name"])])
    class Friend {
      @Id @GeneratedValue(strategy=GenerationType.AUTO)
      public Long id
      @ManyToOne
      public Account account
      public String href
      public String name
    }

I get the following error:

    org.hibernate.AnnotationException: Unable to create unique key
constraint (account, name) on table Friend: account not found

It seems this has to do with the @ManyToOne constraint, which I imagine
actually creates a separate UniqueConstraint???

In any case, if I take this out, there is no complaint about the
UniqueConstraint, but there is another error which makes me believe it
must be left in.

    org.hibernate.MappingException: Could not determine type for:
com.mksoft.fbautomate.domain.Account, at table: Friend, for columns:
[org.hibernate.mapping.Column(account)]

Any hints how I can create such a desired constraint (i.e., that each
combination of account and name occurs only once???)

Thank you!

Misha