[infinispan-dev] Maven structure

Adrian Cole ferncam1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 08:35:53 EDT 2009

Having project disconnected from core allows us to mandate certain
things, like style and license, across all modules without introducing
other dependencies from core.  Dist could be put into core, but would
clutter it a bit.    ideally, poms are like classes: one reason to
change.     What do you think?       Adrian cole

On 01/04/2009, Galder Zamarreno <galder.zamarreno at redhat.com> wrote:

> Manik Surtani wrote:
>> This stems from a discussion Adrian and I had about the maven module
>> structure for Infinispan and how it could change to be more modular.
>
> What's the aim for making Infinispan more modular? Release individual
> modules independently? Make it easier for people to select which modules
> they need?
>
> Do you expect different people to own different modules?
>

>> /pom.xml <-- parent POM, used to build/test the entire project
>>
>> /project <- project details such as team and common factors across all
>> modules (Artifact Id: infinispan-project)
>>
>> /distribution <-- aggregator POM to build a complete and coherent
>> distribution (Artifact Id: infinispan-distribution)
>>
>> /core <-- core code + tests.  (Artifact Id: infinispan-core)
>
> Shouldn't project/ and distribution/ just live under core/?
>

>> /cachestore/* <-- several sub-modules here, for cache stores that have
>> external dependencies.  Such as JDBC, BDBJE, S3 so that external
>> dependencies can be mapped separately.  Typical artifact ids:
>> infinispan-cachestore-bdbje
>
> So, each sub-module would have pom.xml? Would there also be another
> pom.xml at the root of cachestore/?
>

>> /tree <-- for the tree cache API (Artifact Id: infinispan-tree)
>> /fine-grained <-- for the fine-grained API (Artifact Id:
>> infinispan-fine-grained)
>>
>> Any thoughts/comments/suggestions on the above?
>
> Having separate modules for tree, fine-grained, cachestores make sense
> to me.
>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --
>> Manik Surtani