[infinispan-dev] First version of JBoss Marshalling based Marshaller

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 13:02:19 EDT 2009

Manik Surtani wrote:
> Looks good, my comments inline:
>
> On 10 Apr 2009, at 12:43, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> </snip>
>>
>> - I created a new profile that runs the testsuite with this
>> marshaller. To run, just do: mvn -Ptest-jbossmarshaller test.
>
> I am guessing this is just a temporary measure to compare the two
> approaches to marshalling?  In the end I don't want to ship with 2
> different approaches to marshalling.

+1

It's just there to enable me to run the full testsuite with the
currently optional marshaller.

>> </snip>
>>
>> - I had one doubt about the scope of the marshaller. I gave it
>> @Scope(Scopes.GLOBAL) since it'd be something shared among all caches.
>> Now, I assume its @Stop method would be called when all caches are
>> finished and the CacheManager is stopped? Wanted to make sure nothing
>> is leaked!.
>
> Yes, your assumption is correct.  The whole thing with scopes is that 2
> separate component registries are created, one for global components and
> one for each cache instance.  And lifecycle (such as @Stop) is
> controlled by the CR so even if you stop individual caches, as long as
> the cache manager is running global components won't be stopped.  Global
> components are only stopped when the cache manager is stopped.

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

>> </snip>
>
> I know this is jumping the gun a little, but how does this play with
> ISPN-42: Object stream pooling?  That's an optimisation I would really
> like to see in place as soon as possible.  :-)  Is this a trivial
> "extra" on top of ISPN-44?

Since streams are now retrieved from a factory in JBoss Marshalling, I
need to see what it happens behind the scenes (David could give us a
hint here). He might be already doing pooling of the streams returned by
the factory. If he isn't, since he's already implemented the factory, it
might make more sense to implement it in JBMAR than in JBC? Otherwise,
we can always implement this ourselves. David, thoughts?

This is certainly on my plate for Beta1. My plan was to verify raw
performance before looking into this.

> Cheers
> --
> Manik Surtani