[infinispan-dev] HitchHikerExecutor

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Wed Apr 15 05:19:41 EDT 2009

This is something Adrian came up with while on IRC yesterday:

	https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-58

This is an executor that does not spawn new threads, but instead
queues up tasks, adds an interceptor to the chain, and "hijacks"
process threads to execute queued runnables.

The purpose of this is so that Infinispan plays nice in runtimes that
restrict the spawning of threads, such as Google's App Engine.

I added this as a JIRA for now, but after sleeping on it, I think this
is unnecessary.  In-process executors could be used for now, utilising
the caller thread to execute the runnable, and in future GAE-specific
executors to delegate to the upcoming Task Queue API [1].  In fact,
this could be a part of a GAE compatibility module which may include a
cache store that uses the app engine data store, possibly via JPA [2].

WDYT?

Cheers
Manik

[1] http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=109