[infinispan-dev] Adding excludes for log4j.xml to test-jar target

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Wed Aug 19 06:21:28 EDT 2009

On 19 Aug 2009, at 11:08, Galder Zamarreno wrote:

> On 08/19/2009 11:52 AM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>>
>> On 19 Aug 2009, at 09:56, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While working on the ISPN cache provider, I've realised that the
>>> test
>>> jar contains a log4j.xml and this stops you from using a different
>>> log4j
>>> settings to the one in the test jar. This is because log4j first and
>>> foremost looks for a 'log4j.xml' and if present, it uses that. This
>>> cannot be overriden with -Dlog4j.configuration.
>>>
>>> As a result, I'm adding an excludes to avoid this log4j.xml ending
>>> up in
>>> the test jar. The other alternative would be to rename
>>> src/test/resources/log4j.xml to something else, i.e.
>>> log4j-infinispan.xml but doing this would stop the log4j settings
>>> from
>>> being picked up by default during Infinispan development, hence, I
>>> think
>>> the excludes setting is the best option here.
>>
>> +1 to ensuring it does not get packaged with the test jar, but it
>> should
>> still be included in the distro (in the conf directory) as an
>> example of
>> how folks can enable logging.
>
> If we want to include it in the distro, it definitely must have a
> diff name to log4j.xml, otherwise it'll get picked up and users
> won't be able to get override it in any way.
>
> Currently we're not including a log4j.xml in the main distro at all.

Hmm.  Ok, then when it is copied to the conf directory of the distro
it should be renamed to log4j-sample.xml, and there should be a README-
logging.txt to explain how to enable this file, either by renaming it
to log4j.xml or by using -Dlog4j.configuration.  WDYT?

> Btw, while testing this, I noticed that the configuration section of
> the test-jar goal is completely ignored by maven, so the excludes
> had to go into maven-jar-plugin configuration section, hence
> applying to all jars.

Yeah thats fine.

manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan