[infinispan-dev] [ISPN-6] [HHH-4103] Infinispan cache provider now in Hibernate trunk

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 05:02:25 EDT 2009

Hi all,

As indicated to Steve and Manik yesterday, I've committed the Infinispan
cache provider to Hibernate trunk and added the new module to the root
pom.xml.

The provider currently depends on a Infinispan snapshot in order to pass
all except the classloader tests which require more work on my side
(Note that I'm away on PTO next week and so I'll carry on with this when
I get back). The dependency on the snapshot is required in order to fix
some issues that we found in Infinispan as tests were ported from the
JBC integration layer.

Manik will be releasing a Beta1 release either today or Monday and that
should contain all the necessary fixes. So, when that release comes out,
could someone that has Hibernate trunk commit access change the
cache-infinispan/pom.xml to point to that version? That way Steve can
carry on with 3.5 releases knowing that Infinispan is tied to a specific
version and not a snapshot.

So, what is it that is left to do?

- Fix the classloader tests. This requires some thought cos we've moved
away from isolated regions to lazy marshalling. I need more time to look
into this.

- Benchmark against other cache providers, we must be faster! I sent an
email previously about this but got no reply, so I assume there's
nothing right now to benchmark cache providers?

- Document (wiki) how the cache provider works and its configuration.

- Blog about it! The next time a Hibernate 3.5 release is put out there,
this would be the ideal time to do so! Hopefully by then the docu/wiki
will be ready.

Note that the work done so far is not set in stone yet and any
suggestion/improvements to how the cache works or about the
configuration is welcomed. InfinispanRegionFactoryTestCase contains a
fair few tests where different configuration settings are tested. That
will give you an idea of the potential of the new configuration.

I've removed the beta1 fix version from
https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-6 cos there's nothing specific
to the cache provider implemented for beta1 other than fixing the
corresponding issues and there're JIRAs for each of them already.

Finally, I'd like to thank breddy for stepping up and starting the
development of the cache provider.
Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache