[infinispan-dev] HotRod?? [ISPN-29 and a "custom protocol"]

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 11:55:42 EST 2009

On 12/11/2009 06:42 PM, Alex Kluge wrote:
>> In a cluster, you can't just have an atomic long starting at 0 that you
>> increase everytime a node is modified, because you could easily find
>> yourself in a situation where two nodes modifying the same key might
>> generate the same cas id.
>
> Hmmm, in a cluster no mater who writes the key/vale, they have to wind up
> modifying the same data, no? Otherwise the cluster becomes inconsistent.
> That is the point, where, on modification, you can increment the counter.

True. Assuming that you use sync mode, it will guarantee that even if
you use the same cas, the internal locking will avoid the inconsistency.

> Eviction, however, raises more challenges. Clearly, when a value is
> evicted, you can't simply restart the counter when the data is rewritten.
> This would confuse the clients. However, I also get uncomfortable putting
> something time consuming into the main write path. I guess I am a bit
> jaded from when System.currentTimeMillis() took a long time.
>
> But then again:
>    http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6440250
>
> Also note from this that sometimes nanoTime just returns currentTimeMillis*10^6.

Interesting stuff. I understand your concers wrt the potential speed of
such calls.

> Perhaps setting an initial value in a time consuming way, then a simple
> increment thereafter. The goal is to get consistent, usable behaviour,
> while maintaining performance.

Let's go for this then. I did think of this solution but had thought
that currentTimeMillis/nanoTime, being native call, would be faster
keeping such counter.

> We definitely shouldn't use completely independent CAS values for
> different protocols.
>
>                              Got to run,
>                                       Alex

Sr. Software Engineer