[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod - pt2

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Wed Dec 16 09:04:43 EST 2009

On 12/16/2009 01:16 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 16 Dec 2009, at 12:13, Mircea Markus wrote:

>>> Yes, nodes that are not running HotRod are removed from the list prior to transmission.

>>> That would be reimplementing a lot of logic that is already in JGroups.  Maintaining view IDs is non-trivial if (a) any node can update this and (b) this needs to be kept coherent even as nodes leave/join (including any node maintaining this state).
>> some logic will need to be there to make the difference between an jgroups node leaving and a  an jgroups node where hotrod is deployed leaving. Each HR server will need to know the other HR servers running (different from jgroups level view), so we already have some view management logic.
>
> I expect this to be declarative (in XML).  Then you just filter the JGroups view against the nodes you have in the list of HR servers to determine what to send back.

I was expecting to this in similar to way to how clustered EJBs do. When
you you deploy a clustered EJB, it sends a sync message around the
cluster indicating to the other servers that there's a new endpoint for
that clustered EJB and hence, they update a server side list of HATarget
which is what is send back to the clients in piggyback.

I was thinking that when a HR server deploys, I could do a similar
thing. You could then use the existing JGroups view id and associate it
with the current HR server target list.

This however assumes that the server side HR servers are actually joined
in a single cluster, which might not necessarily suit all situations.

>>> Precisely.

>>> No, socket being closed doesn't mean your view is out of date - it just means you fail over to the next server.  A socket could close for reasons other than a server leaving the group.

>>> --
>>> Manik Surtani
>>> manik at jboss.org
>>> Lead, Infinispan