[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod - pt2

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Wed Dec 16 09:16:23 EST 2009

On 12/16/2009 02:53 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 16 Dec 2009, at 13:38, Galder Zamarreno wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> Provided the client knows the servers have all been restarted.
>>>
>>> I think a better approach is that the client sends its last known topology version (vClient).  The server node it connects to compares vClient with vServer (the version that the servers are aware of).  if vClient != vServer then resend topology map.
>>
>> I added that already this morning to the request header :)
>> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/HotRodProtocol
>>
>> Not-so-dumb and clever clients send their latest viewId to the server
>> and the server compares would compare it and if different, send the new
>> topology.
>>
>> Note that in the response, I had added a "View change marker" field so
>> that the client knows whether a view change follows or not. The reason I
>> had done this is because I didn't think the client could simply compare
>> the vServer with the vClient and decide whether more needs to be read or
>> not.
>
> No, the server decides whether the Topo map is out of date.  If so, it sends a new one.  The client just applies the new one if a new one is sent.

Indeed, but this was about the client knowing that a new topo has been
sent to it. I mean, how does the client know that server has actually
sent back a new topology? I was using that field to indicate to the
client: "hey, a new view follows the head after this field read". I can
then read the vServer sent...etc.

>> You could have an scenario where a client starts up and sends 3 request
>> in pararell, all with vClient=-1 because no replies have been received
>> from hot rod server. When the server replied to those 3 req, it would
>> have sent for example, vServer=4. The first response to be processed
>> would have update the local vClient to 4, but the other two responses
>> would still contain the vServer=4. So, they would somehow need to read,
>> or discard the response.
>>
>> And after writing this and thinking it again, the "View change marker"
>> is not be necessary. If vClient and vServer are equals, the client knows
>> the total length of the body so it can read it and discard it directly.

Hmmmm, but thinking through this again, the total body includes other
stuff. So I do need that marker unless the header comes with a total
number of bytes in header, in which case yeah, I can discard the
remaining bytes from the header and ignore the topology information cos
I have already applied it.

>>> --
>>> Manik Surtani
>>> manik at jboss.org