[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod - pt2

Alex Kluge java_kluge at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 29 13:35:58 EST 2009

> Why do you have OpCode in your
> response header?  Surely this is redundant?  If
> the client is sync, it knows what it sent.  If it is
> async, it has a message ID.

 I don't think it's a significant issue, and it is sort of redundant
in this case because you have the status response, however, it isn't
completely clear cut. When I implemented a similar protocol I kept
the response code. It simplifies what you need to track within a
request/response cycle, and allows for easy extensibility. For
example, on error I return a different response type (a different
op code) which causes the response to be parsed by a different
message decoder.

I also made it easy to register custom requests and responses, and this
is facilitated by having distinct op codes for each.

                                                  Alex