[infinispan-dev] Why does ClusteredGetResponseValidityFilter maintain pendingResponders?

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 05:23:54 EDT 2009

On 07/07/2009 02:03 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2009, at 08:03, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Why does ClusteredGetResponseValidityFilter maintain a list of
>> pendingResponders? Wouldn't it be more efficient if
>> needMoreResponses() returned as soon as one positive response has been
>> received regardless of who's pending to return anything? I'm assuming
>> here that SuccessfulResponse means that the clustered get returned
>> what we're trying to get.
>
> IIRC this was an issue where if we hadn't seen any valid responses,
> JGroups would timeout. So needMoreReponses() needed to return true at
> some point, and in this case that point is if we don't have a valid
> response AND there are more pending responders.
>
> This may not be the case anymore with JGroups 2.8 though.

Hmmmmmm, not sure I understand. Vladimir/Bela, can you clarify this?

As a FYI: This came from the stoppgaes I see in DIST mode where some
clustered get responses are somehow not getting through (see "Sometimes
TCP responses not getting through on localhost" titled email sent to
this dev list). While looking at that ClusteredGetResponseValidityFilter
was waiting for one node to respond even if it had already received a
successful response to the clustered get.

>> I implemented a very similar thing for HAJNDI in such way that as soon
>> as a look up had succeed, we wouldn't wait for anyone else.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño
>> Sr. Software Engineer