[infinispan-dev] Minor semantic rules in conf files

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Thu Jul 9 05:47:05 EDT 2009

On 8 Jul 2009, at 13:51, Vladimir Blagojevic wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Currently as soon as transactional element is in xml config file,
> even if transactionManagerLookupClass is not specified, it defaults
> to a certain value. Having these minor semantic rules require
> special processing of elements during xml reading. Of course, the
> design accommodates these special rules (case of
> CacheLoaderManagerConfig where we add individual
> CacheLoaderConfigs). So far there are only two special processing
> elements (another is clustering).
>
> Can we avoid it for transaction element, and if yes, how? By
> requiring transactionManagerLookupClass to be mandatory?

As far as possible I would prefer that we have sensible defaults, from
a user experience point of view.  We have a TransactionManagerLookup
impl that deals with *most popular* TMs registered in JNDI and this
is, IMO, a sensible default.

As you said, this is the same for the <transport /> element, which
defaults to a JGroupsTransport.  We don't have anything else here at
the moment, but people have asked for this to be an extension point.

Cheers
manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan
Lead, JBoss Cache